WHY USE A CERTIFIED TRIATHLETE COACH?
USA Triathlon coaches typically design triathlete training plans geared toward the athlete’s needs as well as provide sport specific training for triathletes and daily key workouts. Coaches cater to his/her athlete’s needs, coaches also teach mechanics and inner workings of swimming, cycling and running passed down from USA Triathlon organization’s most esteemed mentors. Your coach will not just train an athlete physically, but will also provide information on nutrition periodization & mental skills, two vital aspects in mastering the sport of triathlon. Once certified at Level 1, coaches have the opportunity to advance their education within the USA Triathlon coaching family through continuing education seminars and additional certifications like Youth and Junior, or Level II and as high as Level III.
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN BECOMING A CERTIFIED TRIATHLON COACH (credentials)? *Coaches must ‘recertify’ their coaching designation every 2 years.
> Level I Clinic- 3 day seminar with Pro/Elite National & International USA Triathlon Coaches
> Online Background Check- Thorough NCSI Criminal Background Check
> Online Examination- Thorough written exam covering all aspects of triathlon from sport specific mechanics and technique, to exercise physiology, to training plan design to sports psychology and nutrition.
> Current USA Triathlon Membership
> CPR or AED Certification
> USOC Ethics Code Agreement- Abide by morals and ethics established for triathletes and coaches by USA Triathlon Association.
> RESPECT IN SPORT 2.5 hour webinar
> SERVICE TO THE SPORT- In order to continue coaching certification, coaches must submit documentation of ‘service to the sport’ of triathlon that has occurred within the 2 year period of certification. Coaches provide a written summary of how they gave back to the sport. Examples include:
- Supporting youth through coaching, clinics or race organization.
- Coaching or presenting at a USA Triathlon recognized camp, clinic or coaching program.
- Participating in school day educational programs or presentations.
- Holding local, regional or national USA Triathlon coaching positions.
- Contributing triathlon related scholarly publications (research, academic publication or coaching article publication).
- Holding governance positions within USA Triathlon such as the NCC, Executive Board or committees.
- Putting on a triathlon race, camp or clinic.
- Volunteering at a triathlon race, camp or clinic.
- Speaking at triathlon related lectures or conferences.
WHEN SHOULD I HIRE A COACH?
Right now! Seriously! And I know a really good one! Okay, kidding aside, many athletes wonder about the right timing to hire a coach? The answer—it really varies according to the athlete. It is a sliding scale around three major questions:
- What is your time worth?
- How confident are you with your knowledge? (of correct techniques, injury prevention, scheduling, fueling, race day prep)
- Are you still progressing as an athlete?